After a DUI arrest in Kansas, it is normal to feel scared, frustrated, and confused, especially if it is your first time. Still, it is critical to remain calm and focused on the steps you have to take in order to obtain the best results possible. In the absence of a clear mind, it can be easy to make several mistakes that end up negatively affecting your case.
The following are the most common DUI defendant missteps:
- Assuming guilt – Although the arresting officer informed you that your BAC was over the legal limit when you took a chemical test, there are a number of elements that can unknowingly affect your BAC. Do not accept the penalties outright and assume you are guilty. Let the court decide that after you have represented your case with an experienced criminal defense lawyer.
- Failing to exercise your Miranda Rights – It is common for people to attempt to explain their way out of a situation and reason with law enforcement, especially in the event of a DUI arrest. Unfortunately, this does not work and anything you say will be used against you in court. You have the right to remain silent, and you should do so. If you’re placed under arrest, you should comply with law enforcement, but also refrain from answering questions they may ask.
- Missing important deadlines – After an arrest, time is of the essence. If you wait too long to take legal action, you may lose the opportunity to use evidence that can help your case and lose your driving privileges for an extended period of time.
- Driving without your license – If you lose your driving privileges to an administrative suspension before your criminal DUI case is finalized, you need to follow the legal limitations. Getting pulled over while your driver’s license is suspended can result in increased penalties.
- Failing to retain legal representation – Although you may choose to be represented by a public defender, keep in mind that they have a significantly large caseload. In other words, they may not have enough time to try to seek the best outcome possible. Rather, they would opt for a plea deal instead. If your financial situation allows, it is wise to choose a private criminal defense lawyer to do the job. A private attorney can thoroughly evaluate your case, examine the evidence available, and build an effective and personalized defense strategy just for you.
If you have been charged with a DUI in Kansas, Rokusek Stein Law, LLC is committed to protecting your rights and future. With more than three decades of legal experience, our Kansas City DUI attorneys can guide you through the complexities of the administrative and criminal justice system in order to get your life back on track.
For more information, contact us and request a free consultation today.